Update: Not the same thing as an Upshift…
It’s been awhile, and progress has been slow since we have been concentrating on peripheral issues (that will help us on the project in the long run) while trying to get ready for the big stuff.
One of the items we did complete was the cleaning and painting of the 200-4R transmission case. After the case was torn down and the worst of the dirt was cleaned off, we took it into the downstairs shower for a hard scrubbing and de-greasing.
After the shower (yes, I have a VERY understanding wife!), we started cleaning off some surface corrosion with brass wire brushes and a fiberglass abrasive cup in a 3/8″ drill. Be careful when using abrasives near the Transmission Pan or pump mating surfaces, as deep scratches here could cause leaks or pressure loss and failure later on.
After all the cleaning is done, we sprayed the case in Brake Cleaner (which is good for stripping oils and residues off of metal surfaces prior to painting), and then began protecting the ports and mating surfaces from over-spray.
Now it was time to spray. Since this was a non-original transmission, we elected to go with a non-original color (gloss engine black).
After drying, all looks good! We’re now ready to start re-assembly of the case.